Complaints - Frequently Asked Questions


What does the Insurance Council of Manitoba (“Council”) investigate?

Council has the authority to conduct investigations into the actions and/or conduct of insurance agents (Life, Accident and Sickness, General, Hail and Restricted Insurance Agents), as well as, Independent and Hail Adjusters in response to a complaint, and to come to a determination as to whether there has been a breach of any of the provisions of The Insurance Act of Manitoba, its Regulations, the Licensing Rules or the Council’s Codes of Conduct.


If I am having problems with my insurance company, can I submit a complaint to the Council?

Council does not have the authority to adjudicate disputes between an insurance company and a consumer. The Financial Institutions Regulation Branch (“FIRB”) is responsible for the regulation of insurance companies and any inquiry involving an insurance company should be directed to FIRB’s address noted below.


How do I submit a complaint to Council?

Complaints must be made in writing. Please complete a Consumer Complaint Form which may be found on Council’s website at – For Consumers – Complaints – Forms. If you have any questions or require assistance to complete the Complaint Form, please contact Council’s office at (204) 988-6800 or by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. The completed form may be emailed to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or mailed to Council’s office at: 466 – 167 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R3B 0T6.


Can I submit a complaint on behalf of another person?

Yes, however if you are completing the Consumer Complaint Form on behalf of another person, the person to whom the complaint relates should sign as the Complainant.


Does it cost anything to file a complaint?

No. Council does not charge a fee to review complaints.


What comments should I include in my written complaint?

Provide a detailed description of your concerns and be specific as to the allegations of agent or adjuster misconduct. Include any relevant dates, policy numbers, respective insurance company name and persons contacted.


What documentation should be submitted with the Consumer Complaint Form?

Submit copies of any documents you believe are material to the review of your complaint (e.g. correspondence from the agent, policy illustrations, insurance applications). Please retain your original documents.


Will my complaint be shared with the agent?

Yes. The agent will be provided with an opportunity to respond to allegations of misconduct. Council will collect, use and make reasonable and necessary disclosure of the information that has been submitted by the Complainant. 


Can the Insurance Council help with any financial disputes I may have with my insurance agent?

Financial disputes between an insurance agent and a client do not fall within the scope of authority of the Council. In some cases a financial dispute may also bring in to question a regulatory breach; however, Council has no jurisdiction in civil matters.


What are the possible outcomes of my complaint?

Disciplinary actions are governed by the Act and may be assessed to a current or former licence holder. Possible disciplinary actions include a fine, a suspension, revocation of a license, imposing conditions on a license, or finding of unsuitability. Persons subject to discipline may also be required to pay the costs of an investigation. Disciplinary actions in accordance with the Act are subject to public disclosure. If a complaint is found to be unsubstantiated or results in a letter of caution, the outcome of the investigation is not subject to public disclosure.


How long does an investigation take?

Council strives to complete its review of complaints within a 90 day period. However, depending on the complexity of the issues, scheduling of Council meetings, any resulting disciplinary action and any hearing and/or appeal process arising from the disciplinary action, some complaints may require significantly longer periods of time to conclude.


Will I be notified of the outcome of an investigation?

Yes. The complainant will be advised in writing of the final disposition of their complaint once it has been concluded. If disciplinary action is taken, the complainant will be advised once all avenues of appeal by the agent have been exhausted, and the decision is final.


Additional Resources:

Financial Institutions Regulation Branch (“FIRB”) – Manitoba

FIRB regulates financial institutions and cooperatives in Manitoba. Financial institutions are credit unions, caisses populaires, insurance companies, and trust and loan companies.

Financial Institutions Regulation Branch
500 – 400 St. Mary Avenue 
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 4K5
Phone:     (204) 945-2542
Toll Free: (800) 282-8069
Fax:         (204) 945-0330
Email:       This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


OmbudService for Life & Health Insurance (“OLHI”)

The OmbudService for Life and Health Insurance is a free, independent and impartial dispute resolution public service for Canadian life and health insurance consumers. OLHI’s bilingual public service is free and available to any consumer whose health or life insurance company is an OLHI member. Consumers may contact OLHI at any time for general information about how to make a complaint with their insurance company or to ask OLHI to review a complaint.

OmbudService for Life & Health Insurance
20 Adelaide Street East, Suite 802, PO Box 29
Toronto, ON, M5C 2T6

Toll Free: (888) 295-8112


General Insurance OmbudService (“GIO”)

The GIO is an independent organization, created in 2002, with the sole purpose of helping Canadian consumers resolve disputes or concerns with their home, auto or business insurers.

10 Milner Business Court, Suite 701
Toronto, ON M1B 3C6
Toll Free: (877) 225-0446
Fax:         (416) 299-4261


Where You'll Find Us

466-167 Lombard Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3B 0T6
  • PHONE:
    (204) 988 6800
  • FAX:
    (204) 988 6801